Monday, December 31, 2012

My Hopes And Wishes For 2013



MONDAY, DECEMBER 31, 2012 - 00:00 -- BY NGUNJIRI WAMBUGU
It is the end of yet another year and as we wind down from the excesses of the festive season I would like to take a moment to share my hopes and wishes for the next year, at least the first quarter running from January to April 2013.
Immediately we resume the hustle and bustle of life in the New Year I hope to hear every leading candidate hoping to be elected as President of Kenya in 60 days publicly denounce the violence that seems to be creeping up on us without challenge.
I wish to hear clear ‘above-partisan-politics’ condemnation of the violence that saw a family attacked by a gang of 40 people in Molo, and ordered to move.
I wish to hear clear condemnation of the violence that happened in Mathare; I want to hear unanimous condemnation of the sporadic violence in Tana River and at the Coast.
Still in January all eyes in the world will be on ‘one of our very own', 'cousin Barry’ as he is sworn in for his second term as the most powerful political leader in the world.
In keeping up with the Kenyan spirit of not letting an excuse for a party go to waste and as happened in 2008 Kenyans will get carried away with themselves and award themselves a public holiday (officially or unofficially).
My hope is that as the big screens come up across urban centres and Kogelo becomes the most visited location per square mile in the world, Kenyans will reflect on the audacity of a man from a ‘minority tribe’ winning an election in a country where his father was not even an American, and not once but twice.
I wish that we will all see a lesson right there, especially those of us who believe that political leadership is about tribal arithmetic.
In February I hope to see the last Public Political Agreement; this time signed in front of the whole world at Uhuru Park.
My wish is to see the Right Honorable Prime Minister Raila Odinga and Deputy Prime Minister Uhuru Kenyatta, being the two presidential candidates whose followers can easily resort to violence to protect their political ambitions share a public platform to send out a message of peace during elections.
I hope to see them hug as they are bound to do when they meet in public functions, hold hands as recently seen on television, and sing the national anthem together.
I hope to hear them declare publicly that whatever happens on 4th March 2013 they will not only accept the decision of the Kenyan people at the ballot, but also protect the unity of the Kenyan state.
I hope President Mwai Kibaki, former President Moi, Chief Justice Willy Mutunga, Speaker Marende and all Heads of Missions and the Diplomatic Corps will witness this agreement.
In March I hope to see a peaceful general election and political transition, similar to 2002 without the disorganization and sideshows.
I hope to see a winner with a clear mandate from the Kenyan people, maybe as clear as the referendum decision on the constitution in 2010.
I wish to see election losers at every level publicly concede defeat. I wish to see the winners accept their victory with magnanimity and recognize their competitors with dignity.
I hope to walk in the streets of Nairobi without fear, whether my candidate is the one who won or not. This is a wish I pray will be granted to all Kenyans, wherever they will be.
In April I hope to see the new President host the former President to a private lunch at State House, and then host his main rivals to the presidency to a similar lunch.
I hope to hear them all swear to work together 'whenever they get an opportunity', even if it is just for the cameras. I also sincerely hope that the other 4 of the top 5 presidential candidates who will have lost the elections will continue to participate in Kenya’s politics.
After these political ceremonies I hope to see Kenyans buckle down to work and leave all partisan politics behind, at least for the next 4 years.
In April I also hope to see Kenyans soberly and maturely contemplate the evidence and information that will come forth as the cases against Uhuru Kenyatta, William Ruto, Joshua Sang and Francis Muthaura proceed to full hearing.
I hope to see the new Kenyan government delicately balance full cooperation with the International Criminal Court with respect for Kenya’s sovereignty.
I hope to see Kenyans all stand together with the suspects who are innocent unless proven guilty, with the victims as they seek justice for crimes committed against them, and with the court as it seeks to deliver what will have to be ‘solomonic’ rulings at the end of the cases. On my part I hope to do all that I can to make these wishes come true. Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment