Sunday, August 23, 2009

Golden Day

Vivian Cheruiyot won the women's 5,000 metres and compatriot Sylvia Kibet took the silver on Saturday at the world track and field championships in Berlin.

Vivian Cheruiyot made history by becoming the first woman to win a World 5000 metres title just hours after Abel Kirui led compatriot Emmanuel Mutai to a 1-2 finish in the men's marathon .

Cheruiyot, won in a time of 14:57.97.

Defending champion Meseret Defar of Ethiopia (14:58.41) led coming down the home stretch but was forced to settle for bronze when she was overtaken by Kibet (14:58.33) at the line.

"With our team we decided to go at a fast pace, to push," said Cheruiyot. "We did not know how the others could do in their final lap.

‘Good sprint'

"It has been such a long time that Kenya has not got the gold medal in the 5000m.


"On my last 100 metres I was pushing so hard. I like fast races because if the race is not fast there can still be 10 athletes in the last lap at the same time. Anybody can win then with a good sprint." An elated Cheruiyot said.

Kibet was just happy to get on to the podium.

"I'm very grateful to have a medal because I was fourth in Osaka and fourth again in Beijing," she said.

Defar, however, said she was "very disappointed".

"I expected to get gold but I wasn't successful," she said. "I'm very sad. The pace wasn't too fast. I was confident I could win gold but I don't know what happened."

Marathon

Earlier, Abel Kirui secured the world marathon gold.

Kirui ran a tactical race and prevailed to lead a 1-2 Kenyan finish in the 42km race held on Saturday afternoon in Berlin Germany.

The 27 year old claimed the gold in a new championship record of 2 hours 6 minutes 54 seconds after a blistering first half around the city.

Compatriot Emmanuel Mutai clocked 2hr 7 minutes 48 seconds clinching the silver after battling a bout of vomiting in the final 3 kilometers.

Another Kenyan four time Boston marathon champion Robert Mwafrika Cheruiyot finished 5th behind bronze medalist Tsegaye Kebede of Ethiopia and his compatriot Deriba Merga.

Kenya now has 10 medals, 4 gold, 4 silver and 2 bronze medals.

2 comments: